Since the Chapter’s last report to AGM in Abuja 2013, the following took place;
1. The Chapter got a member elected as a national Officer of the NIFST for the first time since its existence over 20 years ago. We are indeed grateful to AGM for this and we belief it is in recognition of the Chapter’s previous efforts towards the collective advancement of NIFSTS’ Goals and Objectives.
2. Outstanding NIFOJ copies were successfully distributed to all the Tertiary Institutions within the Chapter as required by the TETFund Special Journal Intervention Project.
3. The Chapter successfully hosted the national NIFST Day and National workshop for the first time in June, 2014. The NIFST Day event was covered by NTA Network service as well as local media around Makurdi.
4. The participation of National Officers led by the National President during the NIFST Day celebration brought blessings to the Chapter as shortly after their visit, the news of an approval for the establishment of a Pilot Plant in a Tertiary Institution within the Chapter was received.
5. The Chapter has also witnessed remarkable increase in her membership (student as well as Professional) strength. In addition, a member has been elevated Fellow of the Institute.
6. Promotion and elevation of many members in their various careers within the Chapter were duly reported to and acknowledged by Council via letters to the affected members.
7. A complaint from members working at the Federal Medical Centre Makurdi regarding the inequitable placement of Food Science and Technology Graduates on Grade Level 07 rather than 08 was reported to Council and efforts are currently ongoing to correct this anomaly.
8. An award was presented to the Vice Chancellor of Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM)for his unrelenting support to the Chapter.
9. At the instance of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), FUAM Branch and further assistance by FUAM management, a member is currently in India to undergo kidney transplant. We solicit the prayers and well-wishes of NIFSTERs for the success of his trip and quick return to good health.
10. The financial situation of the Chapter has improved slightly in the course of 2014.
DR. JosephOneh Abu, FNIFST